Marriage Licences

Every marriage in Ontario requires a Marriage Licence before the ceremony takes place.  
  • Marriage Licence Application forms are available from the Municipal Office at 7 Lakeshore Drive. Marriage Licences are issued on an appointment basis, Monday to Friday, from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., based on the availability of staff. Please contact the Municipal Office to schedule an appointment at 705-569-3421.

  • Both parties must complete, date and sign a Marriage Licence Application form. A Marriage Licence can be issued only to the applicant and/or to the joint applicant. The Application and required documentation must be delivered to Municipal Office, along with the current fee payable by cheque, debit, or cash.

  • Both parties must provide two pieces of government-issued identification.
    Examples include:
    government-issued birth certificate, including any change of name certificates
    valid passport
    record of immigrant landing
    Canadian Citizenship Card
    valid driver’s Licence
    valid Ontario Photo Card

    When issuing a Marriage Licence to only the applicant or to the joint applicant, we require all of the original information noted on the Marriage Licence application for the absent person. To prepare the Licence, scanned and emailed copies are accepted, but the original identification documents are required for examination prior to issuing the Licence.

  • Any person who is 16 or 17 years of age, requires both parents’ consent. Please contact the Municipal Clerk for the required documentation.

  • If one or both parties have been divorced within Canada, you will need to bring official proof of the divorce with you when you apply for a marriage licence. This can be the original or a court-certified copy of one of three documents:
    the final decree
    the final judgment
    a certificate of divorce

    These documents are required for examination by the Marriage Licence Issuer,
    will be returned after the examination, and a copy will be kept for the Clerk’s files.

  • If one or both parties have been divorced outside of Canada, the Municipal Clerk must be contacted for the list of required documentation to be submitted to the Office of the Registrar, for review and approval.
    Note: This process can take up to 4 weeks.

  • If one or both parties are widowed, proof of the spouse’s death is required.

  • A Marriage Licence, once issued, is valid for use anywhere in Ontario for a period of three (3) months from the date of purchase/issue.
wedding flowers table
Municipality of Temagami | All Rights Reserved | Powered by CivicLive | © 2024 Civiclive.